Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Leptologists Eat at Hudson 29

Paul: We're sitting in Hudson 20 in Upper Arlington, just west of campus.
Candice: Annnnd, it's a Cameron Mitchell restaurant.
Paul: Didn't we notice that at the end of our meal?
Candice: It's a blog, not a system log.
Paul: Okaaaay. What's up with you and Cameron Mitchell restaurants?
Candice: Nothing, really.  I was just surprised I didn't recognize it for one.  I love a couple of his restaurants:  Marcella's and The Pearl.  Others, however, have disappointed.
Paul: Likewise me and Molly Woo's, but that doesn't mean this one won't be good.
Candice: Noted. Let's order.

alt
Water
Paul: Joshua, our server, explains that the restaurant has no freezer. Everything is fresh. He suggests the Cheese Stuffed House Baked Butter Rolls.
Candice: Sounds good. We'll have those and the wine board.
Paul: I order the French Dip Sandwich.
Candice: And I the Scallops.
Paul: The restaurant smells brand new.
Candice: TVs above the bar show tennis, CNN, and the Food Network.
Paul: Now that's bold. Here are some cheese rolls!

alt
Cheese Stuffed House Baked Butter Rolls
Candice: Desperate lame rhymes? Ignoring and taking a bite of this roll.  ....Mmmm.
Paul: My goodness, these are good. Rich, cheesy, and fresh.
Candice: Pretty yummy. They don't call them butter rolls for nothing.
Paul: Inside is a smooth cheese with a little bite.
Candice: And now the Wine Country Board.
Paul: Does it matter we aren't having wine nor are we in the country?
Candice: I won't tell if you don't.

alt
Plate
Paul: On it, we have bleu cheese, brie, chutney, and Concorde grapes.
Candice: The meats include a Soppressata.
Paul: The brie is smooth, not too strong with a cleanliness at the end.
Candice: The chutney is sweet and spiced and the peppers within stand out.
Paul: I like the bright flavors here.
Candice: Ditto for me. The bleu cheese is earthy and the grapes refresh the mouth.
Paul: The Scallops arrive and look delicious.

alt
Scallops
Candice: They're topped with fresh salad, avocado, golden beets, and wonderful croutons.
Paul: My French Dip arrives and I sample it. It's a bit dry.
Candice: Good thing it comes au jus.
Paul: Gesundheit!
Candice: You're a jerk, Paul.  An unfunny jerk.
(inside joke)
Paul: But you're right. The sandwich is pretty good and the liquid adds more flavor. But there's a lot of food here.

alt
French Dip
Candice: I agree. But...
Paul: What?
Candice: This scallop is so salty, it's inedible.
Paul: No! Let me try. You're right. They've left the ocean in the scallop.
Candice: Dude, Dead Sea...
I ask Joshua to the let the chef know, but keep the plate to finish my salad because - 'Waste not/Want not'.
Paul: Joshua kindly offers to get you another entree.
Candice: But lunch time is running out.
Paul: We gather the second half of my French Dip in a to-go bag and make to leave.

alt
Leftovers
Candice: But not before Joshua informs us that it was the chef's first time with the scallops and he over-seasoned.
Paul: No shit. I mean, au jus.
Candice: One dumb joke at a time, mister.
At least we didn't get charged for it.
Paul: So I guess this doesn't change your opinion of Cameron Mitchell restaurants.
Candice: My opinion of some of his restaurants.  Geez, dude, I am not the mean food blogger.  I'm the discerning food blogger. And, the service was wonderful.
Paul: Disconcerting, you say? You're right, service was good and the appetizers were fantastic.
Candice: Let's go with discomfiting...
Your entree was decent, including the fries...
Paul: Yours - pitiful.
Candice: Thanks again for calling it out, man.  You're a pal.
I'm still going to rate it with checks all around because I do like so many things about this place - the service, the ambiance, the appetizers. Almost on the short list of CM restaurants I do like...not bad.
Paul: Worth the price?
Candice: They did make good on the bad scallops.
Paul: Worth the wait?
Candice: Good, fast service from Joshua.
Paul: And worth coming back?
Candice: Yes, ultimately, it is.
Paul: Agreed.  Let's bail before I make another lame joke.  There's only so many times I can see the whites of your eyeballs before I think of dead fish.
Candice:  Wha?  Really? <Why am I bothering to ask?>  Yes, lets.

Candice   Paul   

Worth the Price?
Worth the Wait?
Worth Coming Back?

Hudson 29 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment